Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Eye to Eye, Nose to Nose

"More or Less Church w/Deacon J" has been 'live' for 3 days now and it seems like my world has changed... it's getting expedentially larger by the day, in fact. I'll try to keep up with it and keep everyone talking (and me typing, thinking and writing). Just as Barbara is a "morning person", attested to by the hours on her postings for her e-Mos and salutations to prayer (Let us bless the Lord, Alleluia, Alleluia...) I will probably become known for my night visitations... NOT that I don't have a day job.... because I do... but because it takes me a while to get going in the morning and quite a while to slow down at night.
_________________________

That being said, let me go ahead and share some of what has been coming in by four respondents thusfar:

Dear Deacon,

Could you email me a liturgy for a pet who has died and was very dearly loved? or some worthy references. ? Andrea

AND

Dear Deacon Joanna,

I was delighted to find this new addition to the Geranium bouquet! I do
need a liturgy for a beloved cat. Pyewacket, our Maine Coon, died when our
Catskills were in winter freeze mode. We had Pye cremated. Now we are in
mud mode but nearly thawed out. If you could e-mail me a liturgy for Pye, I
would be most thankful!

Deacon Linda
AND

DJ, I really would like some comforting words to say to friends who
have lost pets. I am a big animal person and most of my friends are
too. We would also like some cards to send if your church might happen
to put out some of these. Just let me know. I really enjoy the musings
I receive every day. Rhonda


For these three good 'farmers', let me say that in response to your voiced need, I will write three pieces - which I hope to post within about a week's time - 1) prayers for the departed companion and some will be for the surviving human companion/owner/friend. 2) Prayers for an animal who has been injured in an accident, the other for a pet suffering from 'natural causes. 3) The third will be in the form two slightly different memorial liturgies for pets: one geared more for participation by kids, the other geared for participation by an adult.

Then, depending on feedback, it might be useful to have prayers for planned changes to add a pet to the family: for a family about to adopt a pet, or for celebrating the actual adoption of a pet.

I have had to bury two cats.... one who walked home with my friend Charlotte and another who I rehabilitated after she had been mauled by a dog. It was difficult both times... the second one with Mandy was harder, because it took quite a while for her to bounce back from her first major trauma. "Kit" lies beneath the pine tree in my back yard. Mandy was cremated and her ashes reside in my home office, next to a box holding my rosary beads from the convent. I have no doubt she will eventually tell me - but only when she is good and ready to - where she would like to settle eventually.

I am currently possessed of a dog, Miss Emily Louise, Emmy-Lou for usual, 'though I admit to cringing when I get a notice from of my vet addressed to Emmy-Lou Depue makes her sound like a Louisianna dog, which she is not (she hails from Georgia, thank you very much).

On another site I posted a St.Francis meditation about looking into my dog's eyes and seeing a divinity I wasn't sure I had experienced elsewhere... maybe the way a parent feels the first time their newborn seems to look them straight and unflinchingly in their eyes-- focused, intense, full of wonder. With that recollection in mind, it doesn't surprise me in the least that there would be interest in having prayers and liturgies for celebrating these amazing furry (or sometimes fur-less) members of God's creation.

Back to the business at hand: If you are interested in checking out prayers and liturgies for animals, the book I found helpful last year was "We Thank You, God, for These" written by Chiffolo and Hesse, published by Paulist Press.

In addition, another farmer, Ginger Buck sent the following Monday morning. What had been an attachment is now shown below the message.

I got an email saying the Geranium Farm is seeking contributions for the new "More or Less Church" part of the site. Last week, my beloved black lab died, and after searching in vain all over the internet for any kind of liturgy for a buriel service for him, I wrote one myself (which was actually a very healing activity). I have attached it as a word document, and you can adapt it to use on your site if you would like. The only things that would have to be changed for others to use it would be the name of the dog and one paragraph that recites particular memories and characteristics of the dog in question.

Thanks!
Ginger Buck

LITURGY FOR THE REPOSE OF THE SOUL OF A DOG

Officiant
Almighty God, you created animals as the first companion for man, and you endowed dogs, in particular, with the capacity to love and be loved, and to show unwavering loyalty, faithfulness and trust toward us.

Officiant and People
Let their unconditional love be a model to us of your own love, and let their loyalty, faithfulness and trust be a model to us of how we may show our perfect devotion to you.

Officiant
Lord, you care for all your creation and take note of every sparrow that falls. We know that if we, possessing far less capacity to love than you, hold so great a love for our pets, then you must love them exceedingly more.

Officiant and People
Increase in us our love for your creation, and show us how to care for all your animals in accordance with your great love for them.

Officiant
We thank you for the gift of Mikey, and the joy and pleasure he brought Ginger during his time with her. We thank you for his silly antics that made her laugh, the way he rushed to her side when he heard her crying, the safety he provided when strangers approached, and the rawhide he proudly brought her as gifts.

Officiant and People
Let the glad and pleasant memories of that time together provide comfort and solace in this time of grief.

Officiant
Lord God, sooth the hurt of separation and fill the void of this loss with your own presence, until such time as we will be reunited with all those whom we have loved who have gone before us.

Into your hands, O Lord, we commend Mikey, returning to you the gift which you gave to us. Receive him into the land of forests and streams, squeaky toys and endless belly rubs and the penetrating power of your presence and love.

Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

Officiant
May the God of hope fill us with all joy and peace in
believing through the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.



Thank you, Ginger, for sharing your thoughtfullness with us... and to you other farmers for your questions. I'll be sending some of my work onto the site as soon as I've finished it. Go in Peace... with your four legged friends by your side or in your heart.... to love and serve the Lord... Alleluia, Alleluia!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you or others might like this. I wrote it after the death of my favorite-ever pet.
Blessings,
Lynn W. Huber
**************
PAX

by Lynn W. Huber

Soul-less? Perhaps, my furry friend.
But model of Christian loving.
Always ready to kiss a lick,
To return to the call of your name.

You sat for years, patient in snow, sleet, rain, wind.
You poured yourself out to protect us,
With bark and mock ferocity,
From strangers all.

You ran with me
And hastened to defend me from all foes,
Even at cost of skin on nose.

In youth you rejoiced in being free
Leaping, all four legs in flight, whirling round
A snoopy-joy-dance in respond.
In snow you bounded, snapping joyfully
At the fluff,
Your own silver mane contrasting with the pure white,
As you decorated it with wide paddy paw prints,
Yet ever ready at an instant's call to return.

Huge, heavy tail, breezing its way back and forth;
Eyes sparkling, to obey.
You sought in mute, intense yesness
To understand each new command.
And when you did, following,
In sheer radiant willingness to please--
You sat, stayed
Came, laid
Stopped a jump almost in mid-air
On a "no", and
Nose to knee, heeled.

(Would I could be so obedient when You, My Lady, call.)

And at the end
Anguished at paralysis,
Yet no complaint
You limped to your grave
Laid your noble head in patient trust within my arms
And rendered up your... soul? Soul-less?

(May I so trust in You, Mother-mine
When time to leave is full.)

Amen.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.