Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Monday, December 05, 2005

A Celebration of BCC

I met Barbara Crafton in 1992. After having been on the bandwagon "in principle" with my ordination, it dawned on my former Rector that that meant I would eventually be working in the parish with him and he quietly disassociated himself from the process. So, there I was, mid training without a parish..... and that would NOT do.

My mentor, a wise woman and a priest put together a list of parishes and priests that she believed would not only accept my ministry - but celebrate and utilize it.

On the top of that list was one Barbara Crafton who - at the time - was working @ Trinity, Wall Street and about to migrate to the Seaman's Institute at the South Street Seaport. I didn't know this person, but she seemed casual on the phone when I made an appointment to meet with her.

A nervous wreck, I put on my very best duds and summoned my underdevelopped social and interview skills to enter the hallowed halls of the business that is Trinity, Wall Street to meet the said Mother Crafton. It was lunchtime and early summer. I was in 3 pieces and sweltering.

Halls, elevators and finally the correct room number. Take a breath, says I, and entered. To the right I saw a desk adorned with a formidable pair of crossed bare feet; noone else was in the room. The body belonging to the feet was buried behind a copy of the NY Times, fully opened and expansive. My anxiety eased somewhat. Even within this institution there were people who had and sense of humor and were real. Phew.

"Excuse me, I have an appointment with the Rev. Barbara Crafton. Where might I find her?"

A wry voice came from behind the newsprint " Oh, she's around here somewhere" said the benevolent voice. "I'll find her". The woman folded the paper, sort of.... , pulled herself up to her full stature (which made me feel quite a bit smaller), turned and went into one of the offices. I waited nervously. "Well, come on in! Welcome!" It was Barbara Crafton all along, but now she was shoe-shod.

The Bishop (at the time) thought that we would make an unconventional (and unpredictable) combination; therefore, he insisted I have a "regular" placement in a parish setting to get some structure, feedback and discipline. So, off I went to the Bronx, Sparkill, Hastings-on-Hudson, Mt. Vernon, youth ministries and White Plains; Barbara continued on her path to writing and boarding ships and speaking engagements and spiritual direction and St. Clements and then the Geranium Farm. We would periodically cross paths, at a convention or women's function, but that was about it..... until I was asked to pinch-hit as one of the Spiritual Directors with her on the Cursillo weekend in 2004. Months after that Barbara contacted me about beginning to write here on the Farm.

____________________

I am just one of the guz-million people that has been blessed by the life and ministry of Barbara C. Crafton. This is just one of the guz-million Barbara stories that exist.

Barbara has invited you to share in the celebration of her ordination to the priesthood by making a contribution to Episcopal Relief and Development - either make a contribution to "Gifts for Life" or an undesignated gift -- either in honor of Barbara. Please go to the Geranium Farm main page and follow the instructions there.

She has sowed seeds of wonder and growth within us; now we can enrich someone else's life in her honor. TRUE gift-giving.... Be part of the party! Make that contribution.... and then tell us your story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.