Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Writers Cramp

In these pages I've made the confession that I'm pretty new to this writing thing. Sure, I am a storyteller.... enjoy engaging others in the unfolding of a story. During inspired moments I can be swept up and am blessed to translate that poignancy in a dramatic gesture.

This writing thing is NOT first nature.... or even second nature at this point. Last week, juggling the rigors of being back at the house, of attempting to keep Emmy Lou's coat in some semblance of fit (can anyone tell me how a short-haired dog can shed enough undercoat to fill a throw pillow each week???), of sniffling through the worst tree pollen season on record I came home each night and plopped myself in front of my trusty lap top and could type out about 3 sentences..... and then backspace until each sentence disappeared from the screen.

OK, God (says I).... what is going on here? How about some divine intervention that could translate into an entry for MOLC? Any hints?...... the silence was fairly resounding.

Bottom line: I'm spoiled... very spoiled. I have been given so many gifts by my Creator that I might well fall into the category of "Jacqueline of All Trades" I can sing easily and have perfect pitch. Can cartoon, have an uncanny ear for languages and dialects, mimic in a heartbeat, can program a VCR, cook and impromptu meal, tape out and paint walls (thanks for your guidance, C to make me a better painter than I have any right to be), install ceiling fans, speak to animals, listen to hearts...... all this with very little effort on my part. It just seems to happen, comes naturally.

Ah, the problem comes when I have to 'work at it'..... for example, meetings. I REALLY have to work at getting myself to, remaining seated and involved in the meeting 'process'. Truth be told, it's easier for me to tolerate hearing fingernails dragged on a blackboard (anyone remember what a blackboard is????) for minutes at a time than to sit through a meeting.

For the last year and change Barbara has contracted with me to write MOLC.... whether I have a blast of creative inspiration or not. Suddenly I have an incredible amount of compassion for the writers of yesteryear would would sit with a pad and pencil.... writing three lines and - dissatisfied - tearing off the sheet and crumpling it, eventually tossing it onto the growing heap of unfruitful attempts at communication which once was a wastepaper basket.

I think my muse is on vacation.... sabbatical? strike? spring break? Whatever the cause, it is a bit unnerving to show up and have no thought flow nearly effortlessly through the fingers to the keys.

In the interest of fairness, this installment is less MOLC and more MOLL (More or Less Life). We all have 'one of those days', personally, professionally, spiritually.

My novice mistress at CSJB, Sr. Suzanne Elizabeth would offer a pearl of wisdom when I hit a barren patch in my prayer life. "Sometimes" she would say, "you can't pray. There is no motivation to pray or to listen to what God may say to you. In those moments, pray to want to pray. God will hear your intention and answer you ".

So it may be with whatever your challenge is.... waiting, exercise, trusting, trying. If you don't 'want' to do any of those things, your approach must be to want to want to. Slowly but surely something will work out.

...... and, as humble as this edition may be, it got done and got posted. Give credit where credit is due....... thanks be to God! Alleluia, Alleluia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.