Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Reflections on being 'at the table'

General Convention in Columbus was remarkable. It was memorable.

Conversation - the act of speaking and listening, or listening and responding - between like minded folk or between people holding vastly differing convictions was brought to a new level of worth.

The phrase going round and round was about coming to the table, putting ideas on the table, being at the table, having a place at the table. If I had on my religious hat (no, I do not nor will I ever wear a baretta) I would think that the 'table' talked about would be the altar, 'the Lord's board'.

Yet even at this momentous Convention we were not talking about heavenly things; the table mentioned again and again was the bargaining table or perhaps the card table. What did you have to bargain with? What concession will you make if I give you this much? How much are you willing to wager that you can win this hand?

It pains my very being to think that - for this reason or that - I would not be allowed a place at the Lord's table: to eat and drink, to serve, to learn. Yet what power do I have to bargain with? What right have I to be at the table with the high rollers?

I'm a simple girl in many respects. As a baptized person I believe I have a place at the table because Jesus set the place for me - I also believe that everyone who has been baptized has a place there as well. Equally. I do not have the right to tell you to back away from the table or have the waiter take away the flatware because you make me uncomfortable. I don't have the right to tell you that you may not invite your brothers and sisters to dine with me.

It is not the long table in a board room; it's the Lord's table. Because we have each been adopted at baptism as is we each have a place at the Lord's table - it is big enough and bountiful enough for us all. Thanks be to God.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen

Beautifully stated.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Where fibers meet mud said...

I read today - a reference to St Paul's writings.... now we just need to sit and wait... for all to come to the table.

It is indeed a time when all will come to the table and we will all see that we are CHILDREN of GOD and thereby we are all welcome to the table and able to join in the FEAST. SHE loves us He Loves us - we are all there by that same love and there is a place for all...

Fran

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.