Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Friday, April 27, 2007

RCL: 4th Sunday of Easter, Year C: Another "Good Shepherd" Sunday

This meditation - or any part thereof - may be used for sermon material. Nothing more than an attribution is necessary. DJ

John 10: 24-30

So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly."
Jesus answered, "I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name testify to me;
but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep.
My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand.
What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand.
The Father and I are one."


My natural reaction on this Sunday is to focus on the sheep. I've seen enough episodes on 'Nature' and 'Animal Planet', all the way back to 'Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (with Marlin Perkins)' to know about the nature of sheep and border collies and shepherds..... I am a walking hunk of burning trivia on the topic.

This Sunday, however, I'd like to focus on the aspect of belonging and being selected by God.

First steps first, isn't it wonderful to feel chosen? I'm not talking about the times when we are chosen by default (..you didn't make it to a meeting and you are chosen in abstentia to be a committee chair).

No, I refer to the time that you are chosen to be a friend, a godparent, a spokesperson, a soulmate, a player on a team, the curate of a church, the candidate for PTA president, the teacher of the year. You - not someone next to you in a line - You are chosen to belong to something bigger.

Once that choice has been made, you have a sense of belonging - to a group, to a family, to the love of your life, to the cause you have fought for. You have been chosen, you belong, your sense of purpose is defined and underscored.

Jesus has chosen us. God has called us by name before we had a name. Through baptism we are given eternal life and become part of the family of God through Christ - we belong.

And last, but not least, Christ promises us protection and fidelity...."No one can snatch them out from my hand or the Fathers... the Father and I are one.

No matter the trial, the foe, the obstacles, the terrors within or without, we are and will stay with God.

To paraphrase a popular commercial....: "That's God's stand. Are you in good hands?"

Yes, thank you Jesus...... I am. Amen.


Copyright © 2007 K.L.Joanna Depue and DJ on www.geraniumfarm.org.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.