Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Friday, June 08, 2007

....We'd like you to be Godmother.....

I can hardly believe it, but that was about 17 years ago. I became co-Godmother to Timothy Soyk.

It was a wonderful feeling then - never expecting to have any children, the idea of being involved in a child's life in a particular way sounded wonderful.

Then life got in the way. Some relationships disintegrated and I fell out of touch with the Soyk family.

Yesterday, in the Mail, I received an invitation to Timothy's graduation party..... Timmy is graduating from High School! Where did the time go? And were was I in his life as the time passed?

I'm writing this entry in part for Tim, in part for me and my ongoing 'moral inventory' and in part for any of you out there who are - or may be asked to be - Godparents.

In Baptism, we welcome an infant (or a child or an adult) into full membership of the Church, the Body of Christ. During this Sacrament with its outward visible signs of prayers and water and blessed oil the entire congregation present is asked to keep an eye out for this individual, to pitch in and offer support when necessary, to show kindness and be an example of a Christian life worthy to be followed.

The Godparents (in the case of an infant) make the promises on behalf of the soon to be baptized - promises that they must make themselves when being received at Confirmation.

I have been an absentee Godmother and I have many regrets. I was not there to cheer him or lend an ear when he was in a bind. I was not that older friend (NOT his parents) he could share things with. I don't know what his favorite color is. I don't know what college he wants to attend.

I DO know - through other sources - that he is bright and enjoys word play. He can write well and has a vivid
imagination, but is on the shy side around strangers.

If you are asked to be a Godparent, think about it. If you say yes, then make the effort to be the Godparent (extended family) any kid would love to have. Enjoy holidays and special occasions, make the effort to be there for Confirmation and Graduation.

I know God forgives my failings.... and I now have a chance of picking up where I left off so many years ago.

Congratulations, Timothy Soyk. I know your parents, your other Godparents - and even you older Brother Greg are proud of you. So am I.... and hope some day you will have occasion to be proud of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.