Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Out on a Limb

It's not that I haven't preached sermons in different churches, because I have.

It's not that I have had to teach a class before, because I have.

This is, however, the first time 'Deacon J' is the deacon of the Geranium Farm and out there presenting something without the comfortable/comforting safety net that is my friend and 'boss', Barbara Crafton.

It was different getting into the car today.... I only had to pack for myself, remember my own vestments, not packed a sack of protein snacks and caffeine free Diet Coke. I even chose slightly different 'on the road' music. I arrived only a little later than expected and much less late than I would, having to stop for gas along the way. I passed Damascus and hearkened back to the trip to Horseheads, NY and the snow storm and the ticket the officer issued me for an ill functioning speedometer (oh, that was working just fine, thanks, but so was my lead foot.... but there we sat, Barbara and I both in our collars, so he issued a ticket for something significantly less taxing, no points attached and about $45). And so it goes.

Tomorrow it will be preaching and teaching about the diaconate.... an order about which many, many people confinue to be confused. As the Rector of Christ Episcopal Church in Jordan, NY (near Syracuse) she is hoping to be assigned a deacon and this is a good way to break some ground and more than a few misconceptions..... I trust the Holy Spirit will make sure the right things will be heard by those who need to hear them.

Then it's back home again. Miss Emmy Lou is at her FAVORITE spa, the home of my friends Julie and Doug (and HER doggie friends Sophie and Ozark). I will be far too exhausted to get her tomorrow, so Monday will be the big pick up day. I know she'll be thrilled to see me, but just as sad to have her extended playdate cut short.

So, here goes one for the team. The virtual deacon appears in the midst of the congregation! Thanks be to God!
_____________________________________________

p.s. if you're in the Syracuse area, please DO stop by this lovely church and join the congregation for a celebration of the Eurcharist! Service is @ 10 am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.