Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Matter of Time

Being human we eventually come to the realization that we will spend a limited amount of time on this earth in our ever remarkable miracle of a body. Life as we know it in the here and now will cease for us one day.

In our younger days the majority of us had some concept that anyone over 20 was old - and I mean old!. Slowly but predictably, as we age, the age that which we begin considering someone "old" increases. After all, old is relative. Relative to the folks I met recently in a retirement residence, I am "a kid". Relative to the Mexican family and 3 young children living in their home directly across the street from mine, I am a relic of sorts.

It was, appropriately of interest to watch a series of cable TV programs on The Science Channel this past Sunday on the subject of TIME. Divided into four programs: Cosmic Time, Daytime, Earth Time and Lifetime each could stand on its own, but when combined was extremely powerful for me. Just to give you a sample, here is the 'copy' for the segment entitled Earth Time:

The most powerful effect of time on our lives is the way it limits us. Our knowledge of death is so embedded in our lives and spirituality that, were immortality possible, would we lose the sense that makes us human?


Does our knowledge of our own mortality make us human? Does it inspire us to live most profoundly into our humanity or drive us to our knees in search of Divinity? A valid question for which I have no immediate answer. My Judeo-Christian belief system is based on a foundation that God - the I am before there was 'be-ing' as we perceive it - created me out of love. I am here to experience love and joy here and spread that love and joy with others. The span of years that I am here is limited - and perhaps because of that limitation my time is precious, my work is precious, my love, sorrows, journeys, arrivals, departures, connections, family, friends, enemies, defeats and triumphs are precious to me, to others and to the Creator, Sustainer and Animator that started me on this path to begin with.

I hope that this series will run again for those of you who missed it. With or without the series, I hope these thoughts have provoked some thoughts and prayers of your own.

Please feel free to send in your own take on this issue to me at: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org so that I can read and post it here as an article, or add your comments to this posting.

No matter what time of day or night it is when you read this, may God bless you on your journey again and again during your lifetime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.