Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stations of the Cross, Adult Version

This version of the traditional Stations of the Cross was written on April 2, 2009 and is dedicated to The Geranium Farm and the EFM group meeting at St. George's Episcopal Church in Newburgh, NY.

Because this version the 'Stations' is graphic and raw in nature it would best be suited to an adult group. If this piece if used, kindly include the simple attribution at the bottom of this page.

- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


STATIONS OF THE CROSS – April 2009
[Leader: begin with these simple instructions, then pause before you (or someone appointed) begins with the collect.]


We will pause after the reading at each station. In moving from one station to the next we will repeat (or sing) quietly ‘Holy God, Holy and Mighty, Holy Immortal One have mercy upon us’. After the last station let us return to our seats for silence and reflection, followed by the closing prayer.


Collect: As we enter into a meditation of the passion of Jesus, the Christ, may we also look within and bring ourselves into the mystery of unconditional Love. Let us hold gently our faults and sins as we tune our hearts to the One who gave all and was without sin.



I. Jesus is condemned to death [Pontius Pilate]
YE GODS!!! Why not add insult to injury! My colleagues are posted in Gaul, Rome. I’m in the middle of Jerusalem with people who think less of us than we of them. And they send me a seer, a miracle man to kill. Dirty work must be done and Herod is not man enough to take responsibility … just as weak as his father before him – maybe more! I see nothing dangerous about this Jew. Granted, he has a mind. But Rome must be master and Rome must rule. I don’t know whether this Jesus is brilliant or a fool. Either way, he is dead as of today.



II. Jesus takes up his cross [Crucifixion Detail Officer]
Move the prisoner out of the Praetorium! Poke him! Push it! Take it down through the holding quarters out the back. Throw something across the prisoner’s shoulders or it won’t be able to carry the wood. You there! Wipe up the piss and blood from the floor – I don’t want to see a trace of it left! I command for Caesar. Marius – wrap a rope around this dog and the plank. Heave to, dead man. Walk until we tell you to stop.



III. Jesus falls for the first time [Crucifixion Detail soldier]
Stand up! [snap of whip] Get up! If you’re a man, GET UP!!! Take what little pride you can and walk to your death as a man. Are you so weak? Call upon the gods to give you strength! None of us is going to be your slave.



IV. Jesus meets his mother [Mary]
Oh, my son, my life! Before you were born I was told this day would come and I prayed He would be merciful. [pause. Shouting to guards] Wipe his eyes! He can’t see for the sweat and blood!!! Stone me, let him go! [pause. Eye to eye with her Son]. I know. I said yes and you are saying yes. I’m with you, my beloved. I am with you … I’ll walk with you … you won’t be alone …



V. The cross is laid on Simon of Cyrene [Simon]
Me? You want me? What did I do? Alright, alright! [pushes into Jesus, nearly knocking him over] Oh … you reek! This wood is revolting! [whip cAlright, just kneel down and tip it … tip it. I’ve got it now. Made to carry a plank for a criminal! [Jesus looks up] You?!? The one the High priests and scribes shouted to have killed? Do you curse me? [pause] I see Caiaphas’ men over there. They won’t forget my face even after I’ve gone back home. Keep moving or they’ll only whip you more! [Pause] What? You bless me?? Save your breath, prophet. There is still road ahead.



VI. A woman wipes the face of Jesus [“Veronica”]
I beg you, let me through! Rabbi, Rabbi have pity on me! Your mother asked me to open your eyes … I’m not worthy, but she asked me to use the oil she brought for your wounds. DON’T PUSH ME AWAY – HE CAN’T SEE! HE CAN’T SEE!! YOU WANT HIM TO DRAG THAT POLE AND HE CAN’T SEE!!! [pause] There… There… [spits onto edge of cloth] The Holy One will hear you. Bless me as your blood blesses me.

VII. Jesus falls a second time [Foot soldier]
Get Up!! [lash] Up!! That dog has been carrying your post and you can’t even stay up? Look over there … there! Listen! Your own kind is laughing at you! Aren’t you the Jew king? Act regal –get out of the dust! [lash] Come on – head up, king! [laughing] You - dog! Give your king back his stick … [Simon drops the plank from his shoulders, lifts it onto Jesus and backs into the bystanders]. Put your back into it now, ‘ king’. We, your legions will follow! [laughing]

VIII. Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem [Ruth from Bethany]
Mercy? Why does He pity us? He’s dying! He’s walking dead! Woe that we must live without him! Woe to his mother! His brother and sisters grieve him even now! May the Holy One have pity on us and him as well!

IX. Jesus falls a third time [Crucifixion Detail soldier]
By all the gods GET UP!!!! Marius – bring the rope back and tie the post over his shoulders. You two – push him up. We’re almost to your throne, king. March! [lash] March!

X. Jesus is stripped [Temple scribe; Senior Crucifixion Guard]
Soldier! You could get decent money for that robe, I’m sure!


The old man speaks well. Why let it go to waste? We’re here. Halt! Strip the prisoner. Eh, don’t tear the robe! There’s a slave at the officers quarters that can get those stains out. He CAN, I tell you. I’ll wager you that he can. Iridious, take the bets because I’ll make a fine profit on this!!! After that I’ll take bids on who will keep the souvenir. Now, off with his cloth. [pause]See, men! We have a Jew after all! [laughing] You’re not much of a king now, are you! HAAAA!

XI. Jesus is nailed to the cross [Crucifixion Detail Officer]
The usual. Lash the wrists and forearms! Used these main planks twenty times at least, haven’t we? Sit each prisoner down on the plank and drop the beam into the notch. I DON’T CARE ABOUT HIS HEAD!!!! You, you … hold down each arm and mind your ears. They always squeal and scream. Spike below the wrist – three strikes should do. Then one man on the torso and twist the legs to the side – and watch out, they’ll soil you. [Heckling in background] When you’re finished, ropes on each side of the beam two men push from the back. That’s it. Drop it in the hole and on to the next.



XII. Jesus dies on the cross [Mary of Migdala]
Oh, Lord - that I could die now. [to hecklers] Shut up you crows – LEAVE! Your job is finished!!! John, Cousin Mary. I don’t want to know of life now. [looking up through agonized tears] Why?? Why?? WHY?????????

XIII. Jesus’ body is given to Mary [Mary]
My son, my firstborn son. My life. My son. Have mercy, my love, my one….. my son … [she rocks him, kissing his mangled forehead, wailing silently]

XIV. Jesus is laid in the tomb [Joseph of Arimethea/Nicodemus]
I don’t care if all in the Sanhedrin hear about this. Rabbi … [hesitates] Lord ... forgive me for not speaking up more when you were alive. I will help your mother, your family. Go before us to Abraham and to the Holy One. Have Peace and Rest. Have mercy on us as we mourn. We will not, we cannot, forget you. We will tell your story. Rest and give us rest.



[Take this opportunity to observe a lengthy silence. No talk or singing. If you have walked these Stations, allow participants to return to sit or kneel as they prefer. ]



[Leader: Break the silence with the following words, allowing time for all participants to retrieve their copies.] Let us pray together:



Almighty God, we pray you graciously to behold this your family, for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed, and given into the hands of sinners, and to suffer death upon the cross; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Copyright © 2009 K. Joanna Depue and The Geranium Farm.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Carol H-M said...

This is moving and vivid and powerful beyond words - yet by way of words. Thank you. What a challenging summary of the Via Dolorosa for all of us.
Carol Holtz-Martin

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.