Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: or add a comment on an existing post.

Friday, May 18, 2007

A post midnight run

Don't make excuses. OK. I will try not to.... but I DO have reasons.

I have known this Cursillo in NY was going to happen for several months and have been praying for its success for weeks now.

Alissa asked me to pick up two candidates from the parish of Trinity, Wall St., NYC on Thursday the 17th because she had another commitment and because she doesn't have a car. OK. I can do that. I Googled the directions and, as is my inner clock, was late, but not significantly (15min). I picked up two lovely people who were off on the adventure that is Cursillo. In the back of my car was a special box of things I had promised to contribute to the effort. The problem was that I was not finished with the other projects I had committed to.

True, I had been in ill health and under a bit of pressure lately. True, I am trying to figure out how my ministry will look on the Geranium Farm in the future. True, I am about to retire after more than 28 years working in the same 'business' - in fact, in the same department I joined in March 1979.

But no excuses..... I knew this was on the docket and I had pushed it to that infamous back burner..... and the time had cometh for me to deliver. My entire dining room table was strewn with stickers and bags and names and stuff, but nothing was in any state of order.

I and my charges made our way.... on a bogged down Major Deegan right around Yankee Stadium (what an unexpected surprise!) up until the exit for the GW Bridge, then it was smoother sailing.

We stopped at a diner for dinner, then to the retreat house. Upon arrival, my chickadees disembarked with their suitcases and I chatted with friends old and new. I stayed for a short time to grab a cup of coffee, then back home.

I fed Emmy Lou and sent her to the backyard for toiletry and patrol duty and went back to face the dining room table in all its semi-contained chaos.

It took hours (lucky for my nightowl ways), but everything was done by 1:45am. I loaded the stuff in the car, Em climbed into the co-pilot seat and off we went back over the TappanZee Bridge. What a change. No traffic (except for the patrol cars who were not at mid quota for traffic tickets) to be had. Through Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow and the old Dutch Church and cemetary (of 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' fame), through Scarborough and finally Ossining.

As I turned onto the property (which is a Roman Catholic convent and retreat center) I was reminded of how much wildlife was still trying to keep a hold on the acres of trees, shrubs and greenery that Mariandale afforded them. I went down to a crawl of 5mph while I saw a possum waddle/scurry across the driveway, its ratty tail giving away its identity.

As I neared the building, taking care to go very slowly over the intentional speed bumps, I saw three creatures moving with exceptional prowess. It wasn't until I got closer that I saw a cluster of raccoons.

Then I saw them escape into their man-made shelters - the storm drains! While one headed in the opposite direction, the two I saw with my high beams each found a grid and, with the dexteritiy and finesse of an Olympic gymnast, grabbed hold of the curb lip and did a somersault past the grid into the drain and safety. Holy smokes, I'd give those guys a perfect 10!

I got to the shield door, punched in the code, got into the storage room and delivered the goods. I checked into the kitchenette for a piece of fruit (avoiding the inevitable trail mix w/M &M's, muffins, etc) and off I went as quietly as I had arrived. Didn't spot any critters on the way out... but after the raccoons, anything else would be a disappointment.

I got back home at 4, had a 3hr nap and was up and moving again.

Late bloomer that I am, I'm hoping that two things will occur after my retirement: 1) without the stress I can work a bit on my internal clock to make it a bit more in alignment with the rythum of an 'average' person and b) finally realizing I had the wherewithall to get things done without the 'rush' of a deadline looming ever so close.

Not that there might be any semi-procrastinators out there in the far reaches of The Geranium Farm.....


Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.