Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Monday, January 29, 2007

A new venture - a new adventure

I am in the midst of a new enterprise: I am taking the stepts to leave long standing job in the Pension Fund at the United Nations. Good grief, if I had been a Mom for as long as I have worked for the UN, my offspring would now be 28 years old....and I would be a grandmother....... it boggles the mind (well, at least my mind).

I will be changing my status from an employee to a retiree..... well, kind-a sort-a.

In a twist of things that I could not have foreseen even two years ago I became - in August 2006 - the deacon of the Geranium Farm. What all can that possibly mean? It means I don't have a parish, 'though I have begun to visit many; I don't run a soup kitchen, 'though I occasionally feed people and just as often am on the cleanup crew. I write a 'column' of sorts that has some prayers, some music, some reflections, some essays, some liturgical emphasis and some sermons/stories.

To that Barbara and I are adding a new component. I am going to be (using a generic New York area dialect) "a sec-a-terry".

I have begun to draft some of Barbara's correspondence, liase with the groups that wish her to conduct a retreat, quiet day or series, am in touch with her travel agent and - in the four state area - help her take the Farm on the road. From time to time I'll go with her on the longer trips out of the immediate area. At least one day a week I will do the real 'sec-a-terry' work with calendars, invoices and receipts.

Being a 'virtual deacon' in the ethers of cyberspace is an amazing place. At the same time I miss the very 'human', very tangible interatction with people one on one. Going with Barbara on some of these quiet days and retreats will help me learn a great deal more about ministry - and the roles of the differing orders.

I have missed interacting one-on-one with the laity and these excursions will certainly get me back to those roots. The other gift I will be able to offer - after many months of having something wrong with my back, then the pneumonia, etc - is both practicing and teaching others to tap into the beneficial power of therapeutic, prayerful touch. After months out of commission my body is finally back on track and I can dedicate the time and the focus to practice and teaching. It's an exciting prospect.

So right here I wanted to say thank you to the readers of the various aspects of the Farm - to loyal readers of Barbara and Deb and Carol.... for the zippy gen X contributions by Fr.cool. The voice of the e-Mo,s Rev. Buddy.


An adventure. At age 56.1/2.... who knew...??? (p.s. and for those of you who are often worried that Barbara isn't taking care of herself or is running on emply: you have my word that I'll do everything I can to decrease the stress and booking levels, the dreadful double and triple bookings, the travel fatigue). All of us want Babrara to be full of Moxie and with us for a long time into the future...... and I'm gonna give it the best shot I can! (or as the responses go in the Baptismal Covenant, "I will, with God's help!"

Wish me luck...... a spontaneous person working with a spontaneous person is a good discipline for both us us!

1 Comments:

Blogger DSL said...

You go girl!

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.