Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

More or Less Church

Joanna Depue "DJ/Deacon J" writes original songs and liturgies, does daily Farm office work and records Barbara's eMos on The Geranium Farm. A singer and dog trainer she utilizes healing touch in her private massage practice. PLEASE share YOUR original ideas for worship, special liturgies, prayers, songs, sermons and noteworthy blogs right here.
Send emails to: deaconj@geraniumfarm.org or add a comment on an existing post.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Vacation and Vocation

Understand, of course, folks I'm putting the two together because they are on my mind... not the same section of my mind, but rumbling around in there amidst tidbits of trivia and a samba I've let play in a loop in the far recesses of my memory banks.... well, and besides, they kinda sound the same- but in practise are not... not by a long shot.

Vocation - a calling forth. Specifically a calling by God to some activity, life journey and purpose. I scratch my head when I recall the various vocations I believed I heard God whispering in my ear or thumping me on the side of the head with or nudging me from within. The call to be: a gym teacher, an actress, a singer, a therapist, an activist, a trouble shooter, a nun, a diligent lay person, a deacon, a priest. Any one of them would be valid, any one could be fulfilling (if lived into). But in God's economy, one tends to know one's vocation for two reasons: 1) others see it in you and feel compelled to let you know about it and 2) when you are living into it, it "feels" right...... from time to time, it may not 'feel' comfortable, but it will feel right.

A vocation to some ordained ministry is an odd bird indeed.... and many people have tread down the path firmly believing that's where they belong only to be told by one committee or another that their understanding is not corroborated by a discernment committee or a weekend with the diocesan Standing Committee or the Bishop of the diocese.

The ordination process is not for the faint of heart.... and if you approach it only on your own steam you flirt with, if not experience, disaster. Oh, the hoops, the tests, the scores, the interviews, the sleep deprivation and the self doubt! All of these checks and balances exist because, for all of our best intention, our goodwill, our effort, our sincerity--- well, it may be something other than God, speaking through all of these factors, saying I need you to do this with Me. We frail and fickle humans, with our complex needs and motivations, can convince ourselves of much - including what we think God wants us to be doing. It is then when we need prayer, Divine guidance and inspiration, and perspective assistance to lead us in the right direction.

Now.... if I haven't shaken some aspiring candidates to their core and running into the hills let me tell you other things as well. Should you choose to risk being vulnerable, wise, yearning for learning, adept at seeing the face of Christ in so many earthly guises, faithful in prayer and diligent in Love of God and neighbor, you will be rewarded. Whether you are eventually ordained or not, you will be blessed and rewarded. Because you WILL learn what your vocation is.

Let's fast forward here. You are about to be ordained and you are in a whirlwind of activity and anxiety. I can tell you that - with all the work to ordination, the trial of waiting - (and this is really going to sound strange)- it never sank into my consciousness that - for the most part - my weekends were always going to be booked and that I would be working every holiday! Whoa!! Funny what you don't think of that catches up to you! A bit of 1/2 frivolity aside, after the Bishop has laid hands on you and lets go, some part of your being has been altered, enhanced, humbled. You will first be the new kid on the block, not knowing how to approach some situations and stumbling rather unceremoniously in others. Then you will be among your peers while a new set of rookies comes up and you share a small knowing smile. And the circles goes on - that is, as long as we inspire others younger than ourselves to take that first step.

The vocation does not stop there - because, for the most part, once ordained, always ordained. You will be called every day to take up your cross - publically. It is a responsibility that is serious, but not crushing. Your help is in the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.

Which brings me around to vacation. Every worker deserves their own pay. And to be a person of faith, of integrity, of balance.... holy..... you have to take care of yourself by minding your health--physical, mental/emotional, spiritual. So take a vacation, already(although I don't suggest one in mid homily)! Take a break, get a change in routine and/or scenery.

For those whose vocation it is to serve faithfully by functioning on church committees and activities, take some time off, too. Spell each other over the summer and freshen yourself and your spiritual vitality. Visit another church wherever you may travel. Bring back a bulletin for your home parish (we clergy often don't get around much to see what other folks are doing!).

Got some words of wisdom on how God and others helped you discern your vocation? Drop us a line. We all need help along the way, we sojourners here. And may God continue to bless you in the vocation that is uniquely yours. Amen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm not sure I have any encouraging words. I began pursuit of a career according to my perceived vocation a little over 30 years ago. It took 12 years to get officially into a vocational track, three years of seminary, and two years of internship before I had a full time ordained job. After 8 years in parish ministry I had to admit to myself that for all this time I'd been living out various other people's perception of what my vocational behavior should look like. There was an expected stereotype and I didn't fit it. Do I question my vocation ... no way! Do I question the stereotype ... you betcha, it seems to spawn declining churches. Could I have made it to ordination if I hadn't conformed to the stereo-type ... I doubt it. "Arriving" at official recognition of my vocation took as long as it did, I think, because I just couldn't hide my true self completely. I'm not sure that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.